The Allegheny West Foundation is a Pennsylvania nonprofit Community Development Corporation, (CDC), which was founded in 1968, and incorporated in 1974. The mission of AWF is to: improve the quality of life in the Allegheny West community through action on the following primary strategic goals: 1. Increase the supply of affordable housing through acquisition and development of sale housing housing and rental and develop services that encourage home maintenance. 2. Nurture economic growth in the Allegheny West area by encouraging business development and revitalization of industrial areas. 3. Increase employment opportunities for adults to secure a stable, living wage. 4. Strengthen the social; fabric of the community by addressing problems identified by local residents including healthcare, education and other services. 5. Promote civic engagement of area residents through local leadership development and 6. Improve the quality of education available to youth by providing work-based learning opportunities, reasing enrichment programs and basic computer instruction.
Over the past 45 years the AWF has provided comprehensive community building and community development related to services to a community of residents and scores of businesses and merchants located in the industrial and commercial corridors that still ,manages to be an important source of local employment and tax base base. The community, known widely as Allegheny West, is located in Upper North Philadelphia. It is comprised of census tract 170 through 173 and 202 with boundaries defined by four major arterial streets or highways, including: Ridge Avenue on the west to 17th Street on the east, and from Lehigh Avenue on the south to various areas to the north of Westmoreland Street.
The corporate headquarters for AWF is located at 2330 W. Allegheny Avenue. Other AWF offices are located inside the Allegheny West Foundation Community Thrift Store at 2236 W. Hunting Park Avenue. Our after-school program for teens and tweens are located inside the Panati Town Hall Center, (formerly known as the Panati Recreation Center) at 3101 N. 22nd Street. Our main phone number is 215-225-1019.